Sunday, May 4, 2008

Let's start with transportation issue...

COMMUTING
I commute daily (including Saturdays) between Davis and North Highlands, I was surprised that I've never got stuck in traffic or even slow downs. I basically drove 65 MPH from entering to exiting the freeway. I know it's been a week since I started working but it does impress me. Now you must think "Oh, this person must never driven during rush hours" I can assure you that I report to work between 7:00 AM to 9:00AM different days, all of them are the same! I get off from work usually 4:00PM to as long as 6:30PM. Let's see what happens when I-5 are closed from May 30th to mid-July and how I-5 reconstruction project will affect my commute even thou' I don't go/pass downtown Sacramento.

Mind you, I would prefer riding transit to save money on ever-rising gas price and to cut down pollution but the schedules I checked will take me about an hour and a half and 2 transfers as it takes me an average 30 minutes from door to door. Other problem is that I begin or finish work at different times which I could not take YoloBus express buses. If I ever get reassigned to any cities that has transit options with good schedules, I would go for it in a heartbeat!

HIGHWAYS
I think Sacramento area highways needs to be more visual pleasant such as landscaping and road signs. I did notice that many road signs are old with button-style font. We don't have that in many places I've visited or passed by other cities since many of their signs are updated. I know it cost alot of money, unfortunately.

Is there any reason(s) why Sacramento does not have beltway or bypass like numerous cities have. I'm not advocating adding more highways as I'm advocating more transit.

LOCAL ROADS
So far, I haven't visited many places in Sacramento areas but in any way, local streets should have appealing visual pleasant with more bike lanes, safe crossings, etc.. I will update this issue as I will expand exploration.

BIKING
I must say that Davis has a wonderful bike/walk paths but what about other places in Sacramento area? I don't own a bike but would like to bike given the opportunity of safe path in many places.

TRANSIT
Sacramento area should aggressively expand light rail lines (Airport/Natomas, beyond Watt Avenue, etc.) I also think that the Capitol Corridor trains should run every 15 minutes from say, Vallejo to Auburn with stops Fairfield, Vacaville, Dixon, Davis, East Davis (Mace Blvd), West Sacramento, North Highlands (Watt Avenue & Roseville Road), Elkhorn Boulevard, Foothills Boulevard, Roseville, Rocklin, Loomis, Newcastle and Auburn. There also should be branches to Woodland, Marysville/Yuba City, Elk Grove/Stockton/Modesto and more. Each station where possible should have TOD (Transit Oriented Development). I support local streetcars such as West Sacramento to downtown and would like this in Midtown and other places as well.

AIRPORTS
Why does Sacramento have so many airports? My understanding is that Mather airport is mostly for Cargo operations but why need McClellan and Executive airports? Let me know why and maybe I'll change my mind. I think McClellan and Executive airports should be redeveloped into mixed-use and to make North Highlands and South Sacramento a better place to live, work and play!

2 comments:

x said...

i like your blog , welcome to Sacramentos ever improving blogosphere !

In regards to your post about the airports . The general reason that Sac area has so many airports can be attributed to the regions former status as a US military hub .

Mather had been an important base for training , logistics as well as the Strategic air command it opened in 1918 . McClellan was a logistics and maintence facility for a wide variety of military aircraft since the mid 30's . Im not sure about Sac exec , but i do know they all played a very vtal role in fueling the regions economy and growth before the late comer Sacramento international opened in 1967 .

PS : My 1st home in the US was on Mather AFB in 1979 , where what is now "independence at Mather" a logistics and maintence facility for a wide variety of military aircraft is .(Air Force Brat)

Improve Sacramento! said...

Thanks, Central City for the history of the airfields. Since McClellan was an former AFB, what purpose does it serve to keep airfield open?